Membership Privacy and Security Policy
Columbus REALTORS® does not share, sell or trade member e-mail addresses!
Columbus REALTORS® has had numerous contacts from members concerned that we sell or give out member e-mail addresses. This is not true.
We have always had a policy that forbids the association from providing member e-mail addresses even to members.
The 'Find a REALTOR®' function, available on the Columbus REALTORS® web site, provides the public with your office address and contact information (including e-mail and web addresses). However, the results pages designed to provide only one contact record at a time specifically to impede scraping of the data in bulk.
Now, this does not prevent someone from looking up members one at a time and getting your email address (which would be very time consuming). But it's that or not displaying the information. And our understanding is that the purpose of a 'Find a REALTOR®' function is to provide the public with a way to find and contact you.
Recent changes in the reporting requirements with the National Association of REALTORS® require that all members being added to their system or having changes made to their records require that a valid e-mail address be added to the record before any change will be saved and made effective. To bring our membership records into compliance with these changes and so as to allow the continued, automatic or manual, updating of records with the National Association, Columbus REALTORS® must require that all members provide a valid e-mail address.
Columbus REALTORS® Privacy & Security Policy
In June 2008, Columbus REALTORS® Directors approved the following formal Membership Privacy and Security Policy.
- We may gather the following types of information needed to process your transactions, fulfill your requests, and maintain our membership records:
- Contact information you provide (for example, your personal and business addresses, phone and fax numbers, firm affiliations and titles); and
- Information you volunteer, via applications or surveys (for example, education, designations, specialties, affiliations with other real estate organizations and general demographic data).
- We use this information to:
- Notify you of updated information to our sites.
- Notify you of relevant products and services.
- Notify you of upcoming events, programs, and Calls to Action.
- Compile specialty directories about which you may be included and will be made aware.
- Track usage of our web sites.
- Assist the National and Ohio REALTOR® associations and affiliated Institutes, Societies and Councils in membership tracking and for their use for purposes similar to those listed above.
- Columbus REALTORS® does not share, sell or trade e-mail addresses, but may provide you with on-line informational or marketing messages that have been approved by Columbus REALTORS® for the purposes described in Part 4 of this policy.
- We will not share, sell or otherwise provide other information about you to third parties, except for:
- Member Service Partners for the limited purpose of notifying you of Association-approved promotions.
- Exhibitors at Columbus REALTORS® trade shows for the limited purpose of contacting you one time immediately before and after trade shows, through marketing vehicles approved by Columbus REALTORS®.
- Other vendors for the limited purpose of contacting targeted groups of members, through marketing vehicles approved by Columbus REALTORS®.
- When required by law or valid legal process, or to protect the personal safety of our members or the public.
- Some or all of the data collected during promotions on our site that are sponsored by third parties may be shared with the sponsor for the limited purpose of a one-time marketing follow-up by the sponsor. If information about you will be shared with a sponsor you will be notified prior to your participation in the promotion or contest and you can decide not to participate in the promotion or contest.
- As made available through the Find a member functions on association websites.
- Credit information that you and credit authorizers provide when you make payments by credit card or electronic check for products, dues or other services via Columbus REALTORS® electronic commerce network will only be used to process the transactions you request. This information will be provided to and maintained by reputable credit reporting databases, but will never be sold, shared or provided to other third parties.
- We maintain security procedures and standards that we believe are as safe as today’s technology permits. We test these procedures and modify them regularly as new technologies become feasible.
- We utilize an Opt-Out policy for sending online notifications regarding services, products and programs.
- You may edit your personal contact information directly in the NAR NRDS system, by contacting the Columbus REALTORS® Membership Department, or via the Change of Information form.
- Some of Columbus REALTORS®' web pages may contain advertising pursuant to agreements between Columbus REALTORS® and the advertisers. We do not control these advertisers, the sites of third parties reached through links on our site or their information collection practices and Columbus REALTORS® will not be responsible for the activities of these third parties.
Print the Privacy & Security Policy.